From:
Hugh Vandervoort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jun 2005 02:24:18 -0400
Install the DVD burner  on the same channel as the CD drive. You'll need
to know the jumper settings of the CD drive-"Master" or "Cable
Select".(Frequently seen on proprietary systems such as HP and Compaq.)
If the primary device is "Cable select", set the secondary device the
same way. If the primary is "Master", set the secondary as "Slave"
Your device may have come with software that will also need to be installed.
You may be required to use the ribbon cable that came with the device.
there is an excellent  tutorial here:
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6603_7-5118840-1.html

Jill Bachhuber wrote:

>I want to add a DVD burner to my computer. I purchased a Pioneer DVD/CD Writer. My question is how do I attach the IDE data ribbon cables? (I have 2 IDE data ribbon cables in my PC - so as I understand it I should be able to hook up four devices to my motherboard. My question is do I need all three devices? Which do I get rid of if I do not need all three devices? And also which device needs to be the primary master and which the primary slave (or the secondary master) etc?
>I want to be able to create my own DVD's which include photos, music etc. I would also like to ocasionally burn DVD's (movie)and CD's(music). My PC had a DVD player and also a CD-ROM.
>If I do not have the DVD Player installed how can I burn DVD's? Can I remove the CD-ROM device since the DVD/CD Writer can read as well as write to either DVD's  or CD's?
>Please help me with this question ASAP.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml