From:
Chris Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 2008 08:32:51 -0500
-----Original Message-----

Date:    Fri, 29 Feb 2008 11:20:42 -0600
From:    "Dean K. Kukral" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: High speed internet via satellite

The url for the WildBlue fair access policy is
http://wildblue.com/legal/WildBlue_Fair_Access_Policy_28-Feb-2008.pdf

I have never run into any problems with this.  But, you have to
recognize that if you have ANY Satellite internet you will not be free
to watch web movies, watch web programs, and share music like your
friends in the city.  You can do almost anything, but just not
frequently.  There just is not the bandwidth there to let all their
customers do anything that they want.  Even Cable internet slows down in
the evening in most places.

Also, I should add to my earlier post that I live in Kansas, in the
center of the country, and I rarely have problems with either internet
access or DirecTV tiling.  It takes a very serious Kansas thunderstorm
to interrupt my internet service.  If you live on one of the coasts,
your service might be significantly worse.  I think that DirecTV has
five satellites, but I **think** that WildBlue only has one, but am not
sure.

The costs are high compared to cable or dial-up, but if you use the
internet much for upgrades to the operating system, patches for games
and other tools, graphic jokes and other internet silliness such as
YouTube, running your TIVO's, frequent Google's, shopping research,
health research, and much else, then once you get used to it you will
likely not want to go back...   You WILL LIKE your satellite internet
compared to dial-up!!  It just costs a lot and is not nearly as good as
cable-provided internet.  You have to decide for yourself whether it is
worth the extra cost over dial-up.  I spent some time in the library,
too, before I had my broadband.

I think that WildBlue is having a sale now on hardware, but am not sure.

Dean