From:
Dale Mentzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 23:13:11 -0500
On  7 Feb 01 at 0:38, Jon Persinger wrote:

>>Defrag/Hard Disk problem:
>>Your last resort is to make a full backup (if you can), make a Win95a boot
>>disk with scandisk, etc. on it,  reformat the drive, and reinstall the
>>operating system.  Unless you are comfortable with this though, I would not
>>recommend it.
>>
>>Also worth mentioning is that you'll need to keep an eye on that problem.
>>Hard drives will get more bad sectors over the years, but very often this
>>indicates an impending drive failure.  If you continue to get bad sectors on
>>intermittent scans, I would replace that drive ASAP.

I recently helped a friend from church buy a used computer and
almost immediately after he bought it the drive started developing
additional bad sectors. The more I ran Scandisk, the more errors
there were. He was not in a position to buy another drive so after
noticing that the bad sectors were near the "end" of the HD I
thought that I might simply partition this drive to exclude the bad
sector area from the C: drive. Well to make a long story short, I
did and it worked quite well. He lost about 40% of his 1.2g Bigfoot
drive, but there was plenty of room for a compact installation of
Win95, his Bible study program and Websters dictionary. Even if he
needs more space later, I could even forestall a new HD purchase by
Drivespaceing the HD. It might even be possible to exclude bad areas
in less convenient locations by creating multiple partitions, but
that could lead to some oddball partition sizes. Still it is a useful
strategy that could prolong the useful life of a failing HD.

Regards,
Dale Mentzer

Anatomy (n): something everyone has, but which looks
better on a girl.              -- Bruce Raeburn.

    This mail written by a user of Arachne, the DOS Internet Client
                WWWWW World Wide Web Without Windows
          http://home.arachne.cz Arachne DOS Browser Home Page

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com