From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 12:38:33 -0800
On 21 Mar 99, at 14:20, Shakeel Ruttee wrote:

> Can someone give me the best configuration about the display
> while playting vcd. I have a Pentium 200 MMX, 4meg Cirrus Logic Card
> and 64 Meg ram but still the image displays by frame, and it is quite
> frustatiing to view pics being displayed so slowly. It is irratating. I
> have my video colors set to 16 M colors.
>
> Can someone help me what might be causing this

   It's not entirely clear to me what software you're running or where
the images are coming from.  So it's haed to say where the bottlenecks
are.
  Working back from the screen, I'd say that 24bits/16Mcolours is
probably the slowest video mode when the CPU has to do the work.  If
you don't find 16bits/64Kcolours adequate -- and maybe you don't --
then see if the display adapter supports 32bits/16Mcolours.
  Cirrus Logic cards are decent for many applications, but better cards
offload more work from the system CPU to an "accelerator" on the card.
Something like a Matrox "Millenium II" may give you better results.
[If the application is doing 3D rendering, you may find that addition
of a 3D card will help a great deal.]
  While 200 MHz is plenty for word processing and net surfing, it may
not be as fast as you'd like at video/animation/3D stuff which is very
compute-intensive.
  Odds are good that the data for the frames you are seeing comes
either from a modem or a hard drive.  If a modem, an upgrade to 56K,
ISDN, or xDSL may help.  If from a hard drive, examine your cache
settings and evaluate whether a faster drive is called for.  [IDE
drives have some CPU impact, so you may want to consider a SCSI
controller and new drives....]

David G

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html