From:
Ray Pamment <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 06:05:54 EDT
Hi
I am building a new system for a friend, he although I advised against it
wants to have 4 atapi devices on this system being 1x cd writer, 1xdvd/cd-rom
& 2 x cd-rom
(I cant change his mind on that honest)
As well as 2x 40gig ata 100 rpm7200 hard drives.
He has purchased an  ABIT KT7A-RAID MOBO which supports up to 8 ide devices.
On briefly reading the user manual I see that they recommend not to use the
3rd and 4th channel for any atapi devices as this slows down the system. That
said what would be the best setup for this combination of devices?
Will I be able to have the 2 hard drives on the 3rd channel and still be able
to boot from that device?
I see in the manual that in the bios one of the first boot options is
"ATA100RAID" which I assume to be the ide3 and ide4 channels.
How do I distinguish between ide3 & ide4 using the above ATA100Raid setting
or do I just make sure that the bootable hard drive is set up to be master on
ide3?
Any help or suggestions on the above would be much appreciated, TIA
Ray Pamment
W.Sussex
in the UK

                     visit our download web page at: