From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 22:31:02 -0400
At 17:18 10/12/00, Tom Watson wrote:
>After installing a 2nd Ultra-SCSI hard drive, WIndows 98 does not
>assign it a drive letter. the BIOS recognizes it, under Device Manager
>I can see it, but with no letter assigned to it. When I look under My
>Computer it shows the boot SCSI device as C: and the CD-ROm device as
>E: but no new SCSI HDD. Can anyone help me?

You need to create a partition on the drive before Win98 will assign it
a drive letter. Click the Win98 "Start" button, then "Run", then type
FDISK and hit "OK". The FDISK window will appear.

Answer "Yes" to the large disk support question, then choose "change
current fixed disk drive" (choice 5) from the main menu. Pick your new
drive from the list of drives. You will then be returned to the main
window but now your new drive will be the "Current Drive". Choose
"Create DOS partition or Logical DOS drive" (choice 1). Then choose
"Create primary DOS partition". The rest is easy. Reboot when FDISK
is done.

After you have rebooted, FORMAT the new partition. (Right click on the
new drive in My Computer and choose "Format".) Reboot again. (If you
don't reboot, the drive may run in MS-DOS mode.)

Regards,
Bill

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html