From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 May 2000 02:58:09 -0800
On 3 May 00, at 18:16, Alan Priol wrote:

> Will a VLB socket3 motherboard accept a CD Reader? Putting
> together a computer using a collection of spare parts and so far am
> unable to get the M/B to recognize the CD Reader. If this is not
> possible, will do things the hard way.

  If I recall correctly, most motherboards of that vintage didn't
include IDE on-board, and so required tha addition of a controller or
multi-I/O card to add this functionality.  That *might* be part of
your problem....

  Or it could be that your "spare part" CD-ROM drive, of similar age,
is of one of the several non-IDE interface types that were originally
common.

David G