Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 04:48:55 -0400
Mark:

Where I work, we had an Epson Stylus color printer which was
nothin but trouble from day one.  We got tired of it doing
weird things, so we shipped it back and Epson gave us
another one, which did o.k. for a while before resorting to
the same old tricks of the first one.

It would stop printing, or if started, the head would just
constant re-aligning. And went through cartridges very
quickly.  And those are expensive.

So we sent it to the County warehouse and they got us a HP
1170 or similar model (I forget the exact number). It has
worked flawlessly for 1 1/2 years.  It also is a flatbed
scanner and copier.
The cartridges are about the same price as the Epson, but
they last abut 4 times as long.

We print on glossy paper all the time.  It can reproduce a
photo and you'd have to look pretty close to tell the copy
from the original.

This one cost $700, but they don't make it anymore.  They
have replaced it with one that is a bit smaller and costs ,
I think, $399.

I've had my Desk Jet 500 for 12 years and it's still putting
out the same quality as when new.  Only monocolor and
doesn't do so well on photos. But is wonderful on print and
line graphics.

The only problem I've had with it all that time was when I
moved and it sat in a non-climate-controlled storage bin for
5 months.  Needed to send it away and they fixed it for $60.

Maybe yours was a lemon.

Steve Gaber
Oldsmar, FL