From:
Tom Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 May 2004 10:02:15 -0700
From within Windows, do Norton Disk Doctor with automatic fix checked. It
should try and then tell you that it can't do it , but will request
permission to run Disk Doctor the next time the computer reboots. Give it
permission and then restart the computer. Disk Doctor (chkdsk) should then
run before Windows tries to start.

I've never run a Compaq so I'm not able to help if there is something unique
to Compaq that may be affecting your computer. It still sounds to me as a
communication problem with the hard drive. During the initial part of the
boot process, the computer establishes a communication link with the hard
drive. This usually is very quick. If there is a problem, the computer can
take a relatively long time (while retrying) to either establish the link or
give up trying.

Good luck.

Tom Mayer