Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 23:01:33 +1000
Hello everyone,

I need help on a win2k machine. here is the case:
hardware: LX mobo, Celeron 300 CPU, 64M RAM, S3 Trio 3D AGP, Realtek
NIC.
I was told the machine was runnig win98 fine, until he change the OS to
win2k. He said he couldn't get the S3 AGP card work (system lockup), I
tested the card on another win98 machine, it turned to be fine. I
cleaned C: drive and re-installed win2k, same result. Then I changed a
TNT2 AGP card and fresh re-installed win2k again. This time, the video
seems working, but I cannot access harddisk, the machine boot up normaly
into win2k without any problem, Device manager show nothing wrong, but
if I try to open up "My computer"-->"C drive" or something similar
(access harddisk within win2k), the machine locks up.
I changed harddisk cable and a new harddisk, but it doesn't make any
better. I also tried to network the machine to our small LAN, so that I
can transfer files from my working win2k workstation to it easily, but
right after reboot (change of workgroup), the machine locked up and I no
longer boot into win2k anymore.  Then I tried latest reference driver
(for TNT2, installed in Safe mode because I couldn't boot into win2k
normal mode) which makes the no difference, (locks up at "starting
windwos" screen, use last known good option doesn't help here).
However, in Safe mode, I can access harddisk without any problem.
I'm going to try win98 on it.
Driver used: win2k build-in TNT2 driver, nVidia reference driver for
win2k, S3 Trio 3D driver for NT4 (I can't find driver for win2k).
all BIOS setting are correct.

Anyone have any idea what is the problem/how to fix it? I can clean the
c: drive if needed.

TIA

Jun Qian

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's: