Date:
Sun, 22 Mar 1998 13:35:06 -0500
Bob Wright wrote:
> The standard modem on Com2 is what Win95 has assigned for your modem.
> You need to remove the driver assigned to Com3.  Then, in the SYSTEM
> icon of Control panel double click on the driver under modems for Standard
> modem.  Choose the driver tab and update the driver using the driver provided
> for your modem...  this should keep Win95 from auto-detecting the modem and
> assigning it to Standard Modem and put the modem on Com2.

before i move any further, i want to make sure i'm doing the right things.
just to clarify, "standard modem" was, as you said, the generic win95 driver
to my old 33.6 modem.  it didn't show up in device manager, but it did show
up when i went to the list of modems via control panel.  i believe this was
taking up com2 when i originally installed the modem.  so, what i did was i
removed the standard modem (from control panel/modems) and then uninstalled
the 56k modem on com3 and tried re-installing it.  however, this seems to
have created more problems.  first of all, for some reason, re-installation
put it back on com3.  i believe this placement is conflicting with my serial
mouse on com1 (even worse than originally) because several times when i
clicked on DUN to log into my ISP, my computer locked up and would flash the
blue screen that said something to the effect that it was unable to write to
C: and files will be lost.  Cybermedia First Aid 97 says that this is due to
the fact that the mouse and modem are attempting to use the same interrupt.
the modem software added an icon to the control panel which allows me to
switch com ports, but even through this method it only allows me to move the
modem to com4.

based on your above advice, are you saying i should leave standard modem on
com2 and then update its drivers with the drivers for the modem currently on
com3?  i'm somewhat reluctant to think this full-proof because installation
added some things to system.ini and win.ini which make reference to com3 and
i'm not entirely sure what i should change and what i shouldn't.  or will
the new driver automatically do that for me?

mark simmons