From:
James Maki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 08:07:43 -0800
Just a comment on a potential "gotcha" I experienced when waiting 30 days to
activate.

I installed Windows XP Pro for the first time about 2 years ago. I made a
Ghost image after installing WinXP with updates and drivers, but before
activating. I then made periodic images as I installed lots of software.
Didn't activate until everything was installed. Everything worked fine but I
eventually came to the point after an extended period of time where I wanted
to do a "clean" install. Rather than going all the way back to a clean hard
drive and installing Win XP and drivers, etc., I dug up the initial Ghost
image and re-installed it.

I could never get the system to boot. I seem to remember getting an
activation expired type error message and then a basically blank screen. I
was never given the option to re-activate. The computer was useless. Rather
than wasting time trying to figure out the problem, I did a complete
re-install. No problems activating (it had been more than 6 months which I
believe is the magic number to activate a retail version of WinXP a second
time without issue of previous install). Of coure, YMMV, and you might not
experience any problems in this scenario.

Jim Maki

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml