From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 09:54:40 -0500
At 03:36 AM 3/25/1998 Bill Cohane  wrote:

>This little debug program will completely clean off track 0 on your
>hardisk.  Useful for removing drive BIOS overlays and such, and for
>when drives don't seem to behave.  Will also completely remove track 0
>viruses. . . . .

Bill:

And here I thought DEBUG users had gone the way of
EDLIN.  <g>  The mini-assembler of Debug is nice but it
is a dangerous tool in inexperienced hands. I'd recommend
Norton's Programmer's Guide to the IBM PC for beginners.

I'm not certain this would fully work because the DDO uses
a hidden partition table and fools DOS into thinking everything
is copacetic. I don't know the exact location of the DDO but it
may not be where your script is doing its work. Afterwards,
when you think all is well, the hidden table may be "resurrected"
like the undead in a horror movie and there you go again.

Most drive makers have a pseudo-low-level formatter that
writes ZEROs into every sector of a disk (instead of actually
performing a low-level format). This blankets the entire usable
drive, including hidden everythings.

Much like your stake to the heart, but with the garlic, crosses,
holy water and sunlight, too.

Regards,

John Chin