From:
Bill Nussbaumer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 21:16:38 -0500
Just be careful with this procedure.  I recommend thoroughly rummaging
through Compaq's web site for tech info.  They actually have a pretty good
bulletin board system (or at least used to) that Compaq techs also
frequented.  The reason I mention this is because I also bought a Compaq
Presario (model 4112) around the same time as you.  This computer had the
OS, and software on a Compaq quick restore disk.  This disk would reformat
the hard drive, install the BIOS, and then the software in original (i.e.
as you bought it) condition.  I mention this for 2 reasons.  1.  you want
to be sure you have all of your hardware drivers.  If Windows98 doesn't
support a particular piece of hardware (and Compaq was  known for their
proprietary stuff) then I know of no way to extract it from the
disk.  2.  I mentioned that the disk installs the BIOS.  That's cause
unlike "normal" computers in which the BIOS info is actually stored in the
hardware, Compaq got the brainy idea to store it in a small Non - DOS
partition on the hard drive.  I'm not totally sure but I imagine you could
end up erasing this with F-Disk and that could cause real problems.

I don't know for sure if these will be problems on your model but I wanted
to warn you to double check first regarding these certain issues before
proceeding.  I know it's a pain.  That's why I'm typing on a home-built
instead of another Compaq.

Good Luck

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>