From:
Hugh Vandervoort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jul 2000 10:41:04 -0400
Windows 98 (And, I assume, SE) backs up the registry when you boot. The most
recent backup is available using the Scanreg/restore command. In most cases
you should have a registry available that is no more than a few days old.
See Help/Scanreg for more info.
While better than nothing, this is not a substitute for a complete backup.
************************************
 If I back up my registry for Win98 SE whilst the system is well behaved and
then later when things turn to custard resulting in me restoring the
Registry, what happens exactly? If I have software that was installed since
the last backup of Registry, is it therefore lost when restoration is
actioned? If so does this mean that although the data might exist on the
disk, it will be useless, since it's registry entries are no longer present?
Can I assume in such cases that I can remove these unregistered programs at
this point safely? I assume drivers are included in the registry backup. So
if a program installs that hooks into Windows, and I've had a few in the
past, that won't uninstall, then I can safely restore the Registry and clean
the disk of the unwanted application that way - yes?