From:
Russ Poffenberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Sep 2005 11:23:49 -0700
Hi Bruce,

If your cable modem is simply a cable modem without router capability, then
there is nothing to hand out IP addresses for the other systems. In
addition, you probably have only one IP address assigned for your broadband
interface, so only one computer can access the internet.

A hub does not provide router capability (what you need is a NAT router,
NAT stands for Network Address Translation). It allows more than one PC to
access the internet via the single IP address you broadband provider gives you.

What you need to do is get an internet router (there are several brands
available, Linksys, Netgear, D-Link, etc), you can get wired/wireless or a
combination of both. You can get them with some number of ports (usually
4), so you won't need the hub. The router goes between the cable modem and
ytour PC's. The modern routers are very easy to setup, and can typically
detect what type of broadband you have and configure it with little or no
help from you.

It will handle the details of the service provided by the cable modem, and
allow all your connected PC's to access the internet. Make sure all the
PC's are setup to "Obtain an IP address automatically" in their TCP/IP
settings, because the router will do this for you. Once you have all the
PC's talking the same subnet, then you should be able to reach all of them
and their shares with no problems.

At 04:20 AM 9/6/2005, Foss Family wrote:
>Both PCs, the printer and the cable modem are connected to
>the hub via Ethernet.  The cable modem is capable of both
>Ethernet and USB. PC-1 is running Windows XP HOME Edition.
>PC-2 is running Windows98. The printer is an OKI color laser
>that only has an Ethernet connection. All devices are
>connected through a hub. I was able to get PC-1 to browse
>but not PC-2. I had to change the IP address on my printer
>to get the PC-1 to print. PC-1's IP address is 66.62.86.59 I
>changed the printer to 66.62.86.58  I also have a local
>printer on each machine they can only be reached by the
>machine they are connected to. You say be sure there are no
>firewalls running, won't that leave the systems vulnerable?
>
>My win98 system keeps coming up with a 169.x.x.x address and
>does not seem to see the cable modem even though all the
>lights on the hub are lighting properly. I have tried the
>following commands:
>Ipconfig /release
>Ipconfig /renew
>
>Do you have any further guidance?