Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 09:35:19 -0400
i tried replacing a 66mhz 8 meg sdram in a compaq 4508 with a 32 meg
chip. not long ago someone on this list pointed out that these machines
need a low density chip but what was delivered to me was a high density
100 mhz pny chip and i decided to give it a try.
this machine has 16 meg soldered on the board and one slot that takes
an sdram chip -- with the 32, i'd have 48 if all was well.
but with the new chip installed, setup reports 32 meg of memory, windows
reports 24 and compaq diagnostics reports 16.
i'm going to return the chip, of course, but can anyone tell me why there's
a disparity in the count? (i haven't used the machine enough to have
a sense of whether it's performing differently.)
thanks
--
bob raikes

To get your own FREE ZDNet Onebox - FREE voicemail, email, and fax,
all in one place - sign up today at http://www.zdnetonebox.com

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html