From:
Vic Llanes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 14:10:48 -0400
Hi all!  I'd appreciate any help with a problem I'm having with my HP 6100
scanner.  The lamp seems to take a long time to warm up and so every time
the scanner has not been in use for even a span of a few minutes and I do a
scan, I get an error message saying "scanner communication problem.; (OK)"

I try scanning again and everything will be all right and I can continually
scan page after page but let the scanner rest for a while and I'll have the
same initial problem.

I've only had this scanner for 2 years and I do not use it heavily but I do
need it really badly since I use it with an OCR and speech program for
reading bills, mails etc.

Is there an easy fix, some part that is user serviceable, something to tweak
or clean?  Should I wait till it breaks completely before having it serviced
so as to utilize the lamps' lifespan, if indeed it is the lamp that is the
real culprit.

Also, maybe as a temporary fix, is there a parameter I can send to its scsi
to lengthen the timeout.

If I really need to have it fix where would  I bring it.  I am at Ossining
New York.

I've tried looking for a solution at HP's web site but I get lost among the
clutter of info and links.  HP's site is a little tedious for   people who
uses screen reading programs.

Like I've said I would really appreciate help especially that this is a
desperate problem for me.

Thank you very much
Vic

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's: