From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Apr 2002 18:42:45 -0700
On 14 Apr 2002, at 10:58, Demetri Kolokotronis wrote:

> I thought I had a network, and maybe did, until I rebooted. For
> once, I had both computers show in Network Neighborhood on each
> computer. Now, as before, both computers show in Network
> Neighborhood on one computer, but not the other.
>
> I tried the IP addresses recommended on this list, most recently
> by Peter Shkabara, but had same results as with Obtain an IP
> address automatically. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling Ethernet
> cards. Checked and rechecked settings. Hub shows both cards active.
> Device Manager, each computer, says each card is working, with no
> conflicts.
>
> Tried different drivers, MS Win98, floppies that came with cards,
> and update driver from manufacturer's website. Should I favor one
> driver over others, until I resolve problem?
>
> Which computer shows both computers in Network Neighborhood
> depends on which computer boots first. That mean anything?
>
> Demetri Kolokotronis

  I'm sure there are more elegant solutions, but without a bunch of
spare time (and spare comnputers), I'm not sure of the precise steps.
 So here's a kind of "brute force" approach.

1.  Names and addresses

  Configure the TCP/IP protocol bound to the Ethernet adapters as
follows:

Name:        CompA
IP address:  192.168.1.1
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Name:        CompB
IP address:  192.168.1.2
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

2.  hosts file

  Create a file called C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts which
contains the following lines:

# Start of hosts file
127.0.0.1      localhost

192.168.1.1    CompA
192.168.1.2    CompB
# End of hosts file

  (Note that if you use Notepad to create/edit this file, it may name
it "hosts.txt".  Use Windows Explorer or the DOS "RENAME" command to
strip off the extension.  This is one of the places where the default
folder setting "hide extensions for known types" is a Really Bad
Idea.)

  This file will need to be present on both machines.  I suggest
creating it on one and using a floppy ("sneaker net") to copy it to
the other PC.

3.  Shortcuts in Network Neighborhood

  You should be able to display the Network Neighborhood on each
machine, and create shortcuts there that refer to "//CompA" and
"//CompB".  These shortcuts will be visible even when only one
machine is running, but will only "work" when the machine they refer
to is also up.

  The "obtain an address automatically" choice is really only usable
if there is a DHCP server on the network.  This is common on dial-up
and corporate networks, but not that common on home networks unless
you have installed ICS (Ineternet Connection Sharing) or a router
that provides this function.  Any machine relying on this should not
be listed in a "hosts" file, because its address is subject to
change.

Dave Gillett