From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 05:25:52 -0700
--- Harvey Rose <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I've been trying to install a US Robotics 33.6K
> Winmodem in Windows 95. It
> seems to allow me to install once but picking the
> wrong interrupt. The
> manual leaves a little to be desired as it shows a
> different modem. The
> hard drive crashed so I have to reinstall the
> drivers for it . It says to
> use the "CD Connection" CD. If I delete all files to
> do with this modem I
> can then at least get it to start reinstalling. How
> does the modem
> recongize the interrupt and com port with no
> jumpers? I want it on Com 3
> which I can get but want it on interrupt 5.

     Welcome to the wonderful world of ISA Plug &
Pray. Anyways there are a few ways to force a device
onto an interrupt you wish. To begin however, why do
you want it on IRQ5? Usually IRQ5 is used by another
device, often a sound card. Anyways, install the modem
and let it choose whatever it wants. Then reboot,
select the modem in device manager, click on
properties and then click on resources. Unclick "Use
Automatic Settings", and in the IRQ section change it
to the one you want. Click OK a bunch of times (it
will give you a warning about forcing a setting) and
it SHOULD work. I have found sometimes it doesn't. The
other way is to go into your BIOS and take away the
IRQ that is being autoselected by the modem by
changing the IRQ setting to Legacy. I have found this
sometimes work. I warn you however, there have been
circumstances where nothing I did seemed to work, and
in fact I have two cards, one sitting in front of me
and another in another computer than never installed
correctly and I was forced to use another (one is a
network card and the other an old CDROM controller).
Good luck. TTYL