From:
Glen Sagers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 21:22:11 -0600
First, no special equipment is needed.

To flash a BIOS you need to get the bios "image" and a flash utility from the manufacturer's website.  Most newer bios's can be flashed, some
older ones can't.

Generally speaking, and please follow the instructions on the website, EXACTLY, you put the bios image and the flash utility on a bootable
floppy, boot from that, then run the program.

However, first ask yourself why you need a BIOS update.  If no new functions that you need are added, and you're not having problems, probably
the best bet is to leave it alone -- "If it ain't broke, don't fix  it".  Which brings me to your final point, yes, there is damage that can be
done. If the process is interrupted, you can be left with an unusable motherboard, and if the BIOS has other problems, you'll inherit them.

Glen Sagers

> How do you "Flash" a BIOS?, do you need special equipment?
>
> I've found out about my perticular BIOS from the serial number but I haven't found out if it can actually be fashed, what damage can be done?

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>