From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 05:08:48 -0500
The running of an HP 4C scanner using an Adaptec 2940UW PCI SCSI
controller. The scanner does not use the external connector on the 2940UW,
but is instead attached to a continuation of the narrow ribbon cable.
The scanner is not detected by the 2940UW at boot.

At 20:52 3/21/99 -0800, Brad Loomis wrote:

> I didn't see where or how to disable searching for the non-existant
> devices. Where is this done?

This is on the "SCSI Device Configuration" screen of SCSI Select, underneath
where it says "Options Listed Below Have NO EFFECT if the BIOS is Disabled".
It's called "Include in BIOS scan". This won't likely solve any problems but
it may up speed your boot process. Devices with ID #s 0 to 7 are in the top
half of the screen and devices with ID #s 8 to 15 are in the bottom half of
the screen.

> From the narrow connector on the card, ribbon to zip drive to a ribbon to
> mini50 adapter in an open space on the case. As i said, this worked for a
> now dead ext. jaz drive, which is removed and replaced by the scanjet

Is this two narrow ribbons or one ribbon?

> the terminator is a SCSI VUE Hot Swap Term Cent50, male to female P/N
> 70-5509. Since I had already purchased the 50mini HP cable, This is what
> Granite recommended to me.

So this is acting as a "pass through" terminator. Are you sure you have
the switch on the terminator set to "On"? (I assume you are not providing
termpower via the optional power supply. Do you have the "termpower" switch
on the hot-swap terminator set to "Off"? (I assume this is the setting if
you are not using a power pack.)

>Total length of ribbon and external cable is no more than 7feet. Does that
>matter if ultra wide is disabled in bios?

You should be fine as to length unless you try Ultra with your hard drive.
(So your external cable is 3 feet long?)

>> HP Deskscan 2.7 is much better than what came with my HP 4C.
>> http://www.hp.com/cposupport/swindexes/sj4cpc_swen.html
> These are for NT. I'm running 95SR2.1, will they work with 95?

I use HP Deskscan 2.7 for Win98 and WinNT4. It works well with both
operating systems. (I also used Deskscan 2.7 with 95a before installing
Win98.) When you install the HP software, you have to specify that you are
not using the HP provided SCSI card, but a third party controller instead.

You must not (of course) use the external connector on the 2940UW for
anything since you are using both internal connectors.

At this point I would suspect cables or connections. Check the termination
of the Zip drive to make sure it is OFF. (Please check anyway, even if you
are sure in your mind.) Check the attachments of the cables at the 2940UW,
at the Zip drive (does this work okay?), at the internal-external converter
(both sides), at the Hot Swap terminator and at the scanner. Make sure all
are tight. Do it again.

If all that seems okay, I'd try getting another narrow ribbon cable.
(I've had several of these fail after plugging/unplugging them a few times.)

Pull the Zip drive off the narrow cable. See if the scanner is detected
at boot by the SCSI controller. (If it is, there's something wrong with the
Zip drive or it's connection to the cable.) Were you using the same cables
and the Hot Swap terminator when you had this setup working with the Jaz
drive?

Inspect the external cable for cracks at the places where the wire goes
to the connectors. Next thing to try would be to find another external
cable (with connectors compatible with your devices).

Finally, after checking all cables and connections, I would suspect the
scanner, the internal/external pass through, or the hot swap terminator.
(I'll have to get one of these...just to try it out!) Try the scanner
with the provided ISA controller card...not with the idea of actually
leaving it this way, but to see if the scanner actually works.

Regards,
Bill

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html