From:
"1336don ." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Aug 2016 23:44:22 +1000
I wouldn't even try. A laptop with W7 is probably about 5 years old, well
beyond the average life of its hard drive. Unless that has already been
replaced, it probably has so many bad sectors that any such upgrade is
likely to be doomed to failure.

Upgrading from W8 isn't so bad, because the internal structure is not so
dissimilar, so less hassles in copying the settings over.

Also, the old computer has to be in pretty good order for that upgrade to
succeed (no malware, for example, or slow booting).

Many people made the disastrous mistake of thinking that an upgrade might
fix any problems.

It would also be desirable to first uninstall (and manually remove all
registry entries) for any heavyweight antivirus programs ---eg Nortons. In
the early days of the W10 free upgrade, Nortons was causing all sorts of
problems. It was detecting something it didn't know about, so typically
many  computers would try to reboot after completing the upgrade and then
immediately Nortons would cut in and shut you out . Might that be your
problem?  It took MS and Nortons between them about a week to get that
problem sorted out.

If all else fails, force a shut-down and try to reboot into Safe Mode if it
will let you. That might just be enough to get it up and running again.

When/if you do  eventually manage to get into W10, the first thing you
should do is make a repair disk. That will save you in the event of a boot
failure---nothing else will.

If it's showing 99% complete, you're probably OK, just might need a bit of
fine tuning to help it over the final hurdle! But the fact that the upgrade
failed the first time is telling me that it's most likely due to an aging
hard drive.

Don Penlington

On Sat, Aug 27, 2016 at 1:25 PM, <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>   I have a laptop that came with Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, which I
> am trying to upgrade to Windows 10 via he Accessability program (Thanks
> fr the tip, Russ!)...
>   I had to abort the first atempt after about 12 hours, apparently with
> no harm done.  My second attempt has been showing "99% complete" for
> about 72 hours so far.  How much longer should I wait for it to
> complete?
>
> David Gillrtt
>

>                           PCSOFT's List Owners:
>                       Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>