From:
"Brian L. Sanburn" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2000 02:39:44 -0500
Mary,

        Thanks, first off, for replying.  Now that you've done that <g>, I've,
secondly, got a question or two more for you.

        My sense is that "Help Desk" will most likely be a first step for me should
I continue on with this and get hired.  This isn't necessarily a problem,
however.  But, I'm wondering if you would share more about each of the
certifications you have and the one you're not too far from.  Specifically,
what does each certification demonstrate you've learned?  How or in what
areas is each being applied/utilized? In what way is each of these being
worked out on the job (i.e. Internet, software, hardware, networking, etc.)?
Do you consider A+ certification something to be achieved prior to other
certifications, especially if ones computer knowledge is as I stated in my
original posting: beginning to intermediate...)?  If so, which ones?  Do you
feel it would still pay to earn MCSE certification even though they are to
be phased out at the end of this year?...even allowing for the necessary
"upgrade" to W2000 training/certification?

        Sorry for so many questions but.... :-)

        Thanks.

        Brian

< < you wrote back to me... > >

Brian,

If you are interested in Help Desk, you will also need to get A+ certified.
A+ Certification is a testing program sponsored by CompTIA that certifies
the competency of entry-level (6 months experience) service technicians in
the computer industry.  CompTIA's home page is:
http://www.comptia.org/index.asp?ContentPage=certification/certification.htm
.

Be aware that you only have to the end of this year to get your MCSE +I as
these exams are being retired Dec 31, 2000. There will be no MCSE +I or MCP
+I certifications anymore.  All MCP's, MCSE's who are certified in NT will
need to upgrade their certifications to Win 2000 by the Dec 2001 or they
will lose their certifications.  This is Microsoft's site on MCSE
certification, you should find it useful:
http://www.microsoft.com/mcp/certstep/mcse.htm .

Hope this information helps

Mary Wolden
A+, MCP, CNA, Future MCSE ( 2 tests to go)

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org