From:
Will Stephenson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Dec 2005 20:52:30 -0500
Hello all!

I have a client who has an older (4 year) Dell that we have just recently
upgraded from Windows ME to XP Home. All went more or less well (I had
previously made a clean image of the ME install, and started the upgrade
from that clean image) except for two oddities: both com1 and LPT3 were
unavailable and unusable (yellow strikes through their icons in device
manager). My client uses a GPS device on com1 and an HP 895c on the parallel
port: both are not working. Both worked fine in ME

I went into the BIOS to change the serial port and parallel port from auto
to enabled (serial to bi-directional and parallel to ECP, EPP and thence to
bi-directional). Com1 shows up useable in windows since the BIOS change, but
the parallel port shows up as LPT1 and disabled.

The problem is the HP: it doesn't work. I fear that the HP install (using XP
drivers - they are the newest ones according to the HP support site) screwed
up some how and there is information residing somewhere that is affecting
the parallel port's detection. Would anyone have any advice on how to get
the printer working again?

Thanks for your time and thought on this.

Will Stephenson
Acadia Technologies Inc.
mailto:[log in to unmask]

There are as many paths to God as there are people to walk them.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml