From:
Howard Rubin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 12:22:48 -0300
Here's what I found:
  a.. You must be logged on as a member of the Administrators group to run
sfc.
  b.. If sfc discovers that a protected file has been overwritten, it
retrieves the correct version of the file from the
systemroot\system32\dllcache folder, and then replaces the incorrect file.
  c.. If the systemroot\system32\dllcache folder becomes corrupt or
unusable, use sfc /scannow, sfc /scanonce, or sfc /scanboot to repair the
contents of the Dllcache directory.
It appears that SFC can  check if you have the correct version file and it
is in the correct place but not replace it if it  is missing totally.
    You will need the original CD ready and use the Expand command to
replace the file to your hard drive if it is missing.  Type Expand /? to see
all the options.  It is similiar to the same command since DOS 6.22 or
earlier.  Your system should be up and running in no-time.
Howard Rubin
The Computer Doctor
Fortaleza, Brazil

RE:  Date:    Mon, 14 Jul 2003 04:01:38 -0500