From:
joseph marty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Sep 2005 06:21:37 -0400
DSL, like Cable, is an always on connection to the Internet. By shutting off your modem you are only shutting off the connection from your modem to your computer, not the connection from DSL to your modem. When I leave my computer running and step away I always turn off my cable modem. When there is no connection from the Internet to your computer that is the best protection from hackers and virii there is.  I turn my cable modem on and off many times a day.  No AV program or firewall can beat that protection.

Walter Ezyk <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Hi, I need some advice on my DSL connection. I have always shut down my
>computer every night and restart the next day in use. I have an external DSL
>modem with an on/off switch. Last night I shut down the computer and left
>the modem on. What should I do, can I shut off the modem and the computer
>and not cause any problems with the DSL provider? I have anti spyware, anyti
>virus and a fire wall installed.

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: