From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 21:55:26 -0500
At 05:13 PM 2/13/1999 Wendy Brown wrote:

>I have a homebulit system and recently, I have been having some problems.
The
>system is an AMD K6 200 MHz, with an Abit Ax5 Mobo, 32 mb of SDRAM, a WD
>Caviar 5.1 GB hdd, a Diamond 4mb v330 video card, a Panasonic Big 5 10X CD
rom
>and a SB AWE 64 GOLD.  The first problem I encountered was the hard drive
>making a buzzing noise.  .  .  About a year later, the computer
>wouldn't turn on.  [Later,] the power supply shot out flames.
>
>Is there any way to test if a motherboard is bad?

Wendy:

You could use a POST diagnostic card but you may
find it more expeditious to try all the components
(the CPU, RAM, etc.) in a known working computer
and salvage what you can.

I would guess that your energy fluctuations have sent
the capacitors on your motherboard to the great beyond.

Since you live in the Lightening State, I suggest you
get a UPS for your system unit and monitor, to avoid
problems in the future.

Regards,

John Chin

             to be posted to: [log in to unmask]