From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 17:02:25 -0400
Keith,

I don't understand what you mean by native and non-native files. It would be
less confusing if you referred to the sounds by the filename rather than a
description.

As background information.......Not all WAV files are created equal.  They
can be 8 bit or 16 bit sound files.  The recorder can also use different
sampling rates when digitizing the sound.  And they can be mono or stereo as
well as have different decibel levels (roughly equates to volume).

I'm guessing that when you say the "windows sound" and "the welcome"  that
you are referring to the CTMELODY.WAV and THE MICROSOFT SOUND.WAV files.  If
so, there is no difference between the TADA.WAV,  DING.WAV, CTMELODY.WAV, or
THE MICROSOFT SOUND.WAV files.  They are all stereo, 16-bit, and 22,050
sample rate so they should play identically.  Interestingly, the two that
play correctly have the lower decibel levels which should make them lower in
volume.

If my assumption about the filenames is correct, then I would say that you
have a corrupted sound driver.  Try uninstalling the sound card AND deleting
all the associated files.  Then reinstall everything AFTER rebooting the PC.

BTW  Take a look below and see how your sig file gets mangled.  Some mail
progams work with mono-spaced fonts and others use proportional.  It's hard
to make something complicated that works in both.  That's why most people
use short, simple sigs.

Jim Meagher
=====
Micro Solutions Consulting            Member of The HTML Writers Guild
http://www.ezy.net/~microsol     International Webmasters Association
410-543-8996                     MS Site Builder Network - Level 2 member
=====