From:
Dean Riddle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Dec 1998 16:32:29 -0800
I helped a friend with a compaq whose computer wouldn't let us get into
bios. Turned out to be a dead battery. They thought they killed the
computer because it died while trying to install win 95. Odd how the
battery decided to die at that time (probably due to several quick
restarts). I  hooked up an external battery and it worked fine. Anyway,
that was a Compaq, which has bios on hard disk as other list members have
noted.
hth, Dean
>The other day I was asked to clear a passworded bios on an ACER PC.
>Dutifully, I followed the instructions - I thought - and moved the clear
>bios jumper to the clear position.  By the way, this is a Model
>ST.0000.2.790 and the bios at the bottom of the screen gives the
>following - ACR9AE00-I05-950323-R01-I0.
>Anyway, after going through this procedure, I can't get back into bios
>to set it back up.  The normal keys to get in are Ctrl-Alt-Esc and they
>don't work anymore.  . . . The jumper is back in its original position.

             to be posted to: [log in to unmask]