From:
Donald DeWitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 2005 15:08:54 -0400
*Hello everyone,*

* After loosing several windows functions (including the RUN and DEFRAG
command etc., I deleted Zone Alarm from my computer and downloaded and ran
Avast. Just as I suspected, this program identified 47 infected windows
files. The program did offer to delete the Trojan horse but I opted to do a
clean install since the HD was full and needed a good cleaning. After
formatting the original NTFS partition and reinstalling XP with the original
CD, Windows seemed to be working ok. I went from 5% to 89% free space after
the installation. After doing a few minor tweaks, I downloaded SP1 and SP2.
After the computer shut down and restarted, it failed to complete the
boot-up procedure by briefly opening the Windows Logo and then a blue screen
and then repeating itself in that manner over and over. I placed the
installation CD back in the tray and used the repair command. It appeared to
reinstall Windows while deleting and adding files. Now I'm not sure exactly
what I have on there. What should I do now? Leave it alone or do another
fresh reinstall? *

* The other problem is with the sound system. Before the reinstall, the
speakers were working fine. Now the Media Player notifies me that there is
no "sound device installed". On the "Sounds and Audio Device Properties
Volume Tab there is a "No Audio Device" printed at the top. Also, everything
below that is faded out and non operational. I believe I tried all the
suggested trouble shooting advice offered there including scanning for
drivers on the XP CD and on the Drivers and Utilities CD that came with the
computer.

I'm running version 2002 XP Home Addition on a 3 or 4 year old 4500 series
Dell with Altec speakers that came with the computer package. *

*Any input here would be appreciated,
Don DeWitt *

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com