From:
"Schroyer, Dale" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 1998 08:17:00 -0500
        I have a problem that is stumping me. I replaced a friends hard
drive using the procedure recently posted on this list. The short
version, set new disk as slave, fdisk to partition, format, xcopy for
the files (he is running win95). Now here is the strange part. When
trying to boot from the new disk (now set as master and primary
partition set active) just when it should say starting windows 95 it
says instead "Disk IO error, Replace the disk and strike a key when
ready". I have never seen this before!
        If I boot from the Win95 startup floppy I can see the drive and
all the files. If I boot from the old hard drive I can see the new disk
and all the files. I can run programs from the new disk. I just can't
boot Win95 from it.
        I tried looking at several hard drive manufacturers sites but
none describe this problem.
        If it helps the new disk is a 2.5 GB Seagate.
        Help!!

Dale Schroyer                   [log in to unmask]
Springfield, MA  "Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious"