From:
Joe Archie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 08:52:31 -0600
Your print head may be dried out.

I used to have my printer plugged into the same power strip that serves the
computer.  That way I could shut down everything at once.

Bad idea.  Part of the printer's shutdown sequence is to seat the print head
so that the actual nozzles are covered by little rubber thingies.  When I by
passed the shutdown sequence I left the nozzles exposed to the air and they
would dry out.

Running the head cleaning procedure several times might help.

Another naughty thing that I used to do was ignore the low ink and no ink
warnings.  This allowed all the ink to be sucked out of the print head.
Then when I finally replaced the empty cartridge, the printer couldn't suck
the ink into the print head because of the air lodged therein.  A lot of
print head cleaning sometimes got things running again.

I refill my cartridges.  So I have plenty of ink around.  I found that I
could 'prime' the printhead with a few drops of ink.  I dropped ink on the
input side of the head until it started dripping out the other end.  This
usually worked.  If you are to the point of discarding the 610 and buying a
new printer,  you might try priming the head with water, or a mixture of
water and glycerine.  This could get things flowing again.  I don't think
that the priming fluid would hurt the head.  More head cleaning would flush
out the clear stuff.

I also did a lot of soaking and cleaning with distilled water, alcohol, and
hydrogen peroxide.  I don't think that this helped much at all.

The print head is expensive - around $200US.  Buying a new printer wouldn't
cost too much more.

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html