From:
B ernard Keeffe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 04:38:55 EST
My Win 98 has developed a curious complaint - it half freezes.  That is the
mouse arrow staggers for a fraction of an inch but no more. When I try
cntrl-alt-del the box appears and I strike enter to end the program and after
a delay the next box appears - which I'm sure all are familiar with - I then
strike enter again, but nothing happens, and I'm forced to use the restart
button on the computer.  I have 128 meg of RAM and only the standard resident
programs so there's no question of a shortage of memory.  THis seems to occur
when the machine is left idle for a while, although it has infuriatingly
robbed me of hours of work on two occasions - I know save or die! - not so
easy if you are downloading an opera from the radio.

CAn anyone diagnose this curious affliction and propose a remedy.  I recently
reinstalled WIN98 but this has not corrected the trouble.

Many thanks for many illuminating comments.

Bernard Keeffe

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>