Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 2004 21:17:32 -0800
Gary South wrote:
>I have an 80 GB harddrive running Windows XP home. I got a pop up
>Message saying the C drive was almost full. I checked the C drive and it
>shows only 15.5 GB total size and only 193 MB free. It lists file system as
>FAT32.

If you have an 80GB drive and it is showing that you have a total size of
only 15.5GB then I suspect there may be something wrong.
The reading you're getting on the other drive is closer to what one would
expect from an 80GB drive. If you go into "My Computer" how many drives does
it indicate you have? Is it possible that this drive has been partitioned?
Is it possible that the drive was never properly prepared when it was
installed?

>It lists file system as FAT32

This is arbitrary and would not to the best of my knowledge have anything to
do with the fact the drive is not showing the full space.

>Is there a way to transfer  some of the free space from the D to the C
>drive  or can I store some of my C drive files on the D drive
with
>different file systems?

As others have intimated, you can not transfer free space from one drive to
the other. You may transfer files and programs to other drives the same way
you can divide (partition) the drive for various needs. As an example, your
operating system can be in a partition all by itself.

My first thought and endeavor would be to find out why the drive is not
displaying the 80GB as you stated. If when installing it the partition size
was erroneously put in, you may have to start from the beginning by
transferring your important documents to the other drive and format the "C"
and start over. On the other hand, if you own a system you bought from a
major computer manufacturer and had it upgraded, you may be seeing the
recovery system portion only of this drive.

If you do decide to format the drive, by all means choose the NTFS rather
than FAT32

I hope this will give you a place to start.

Sincerely,

Frank Suszka
netTek Computers

                         PCBUILD's List Owners: