From:
"John H. Miller" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Nov 2001 09:28:36 -0600
I have a DSL account with Ameritech (SBC) and I had been using it for
about 1 year before I obtained my own Domain Name.  I purchased my
Domain Name through

http://www.domainalchemy.com/new_files/index.htm

for $15/year.  They allow me to configure where I would like my email to
be forwarded to and an address (URL) for my Web Page.

I purchased a "3 Com Home Ethernet" Router for $50 from Tiger Direct.

I have 2 computers and I use 1 computer as my Server and my 2nd computer
for doing interactive work and play stuff.  The Router is great because
I don't lose my IP address now when I have to reboot either computer!

My next problem was the fact that my DSL connection holds an IP address
for several days/weeks at a time but I do not have a static IP address
and I wanted to automate everything so that my computer recognizes when
my IP address changes and updates a pointer (Re-Director) for it.  For
this problem, I found a free Dynamic IP Posting program called Keep Me
Posted that actually works specifically with several DSL Routers.

http://www.elegantlogic.com/KeepMePosted/Default.htm

Because it took some time for everything to filter through when my IP
address changed (when I updated it at www.domainalchemy.com), I found a
free Web Page service that supported FTP and the Dynamic IP Posting
program and I post a "Re-directing" html page there when my IP address
changes.  Here is the sample template that I use to force an immediate
"Redirect" to my Dynamic IP address.

<head>
charset=iso-8859-1">
   <META NAME="description" CONTENT="Home Page for Your Name Here">
   <META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="blah blah blah">
   <title>Home Page for John Henry Miller</title>
</head>

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh" CONTENT="0;URL=http://%ipaddress_r%">

I am using Windows 98SE so the next thing I needed was a free Web
Serverer and a free FTP Server,

For a Web Server I found,

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/windows.html

For a FTP Server I found "GuildFTP" at,

http://www.nitrolic.com/

I am still searching for a good free "Mail Server" and eventually a
"Video" and "Audio" Server but everything seems to be working great with
what I have now.

Good Luck.

John

                     visit our download web page at: