From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Dec 1998 11:24:48 -0800
On  2 Dec 98 at 22:07, Thanushan Kanagaratnam wrote:

> I am having trouble deciding between the 3Com V.90 PCI and 3Com
> V.90 ISA modem. Both modems have voice capabilities, and are OEM.
> According to my research they are not winmodems (may be wrong)

  For years, I've heard experts recommend external modems over
internal.  They've suggested a lot of advantages of external modems,
but none that I felt was compelling -- until very recently.
  As far as I know, nobody has figured out a way to make an external
winmodem.  It's worth a little something to me not to have to read
between the lines of the fine print to tell what I'm getting, and
while I lose a little convenience (I admit that), I get all of the
other advantages essentially for free.
  What advantages?  Indicator lights.  I have my external 56K on a
switch box so I can use it from different machines without
disassembly.  I can reset it (power it down and back up) without a
reboot of the PC -- not that I've had to do this recently, but past
modems have sometimes had problems that this would have solved.

David G