From:
Sami Al_mohssen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 22:32:33 +0300
if you ask me there is absolutly no good reason why anyone should chose a
pII400 over a celeron400 as the performance differnce is not even worth
mentioning. as a matter of fact i like the celeron 400 for the following
reasons

1. the huge price difference between the two CPU's.

2. although not a big problem in the states (but exist non the less), many
PII400 are remarked. this is not a problem in the celeron400.

3. the celeron400 can easaly be overclocked to 500MHZ. but i'm sure you're
not intrested in doing that.

4. you can upgrade to a pIII in the future withwithout feeling guilty for
throwing away a cpu that costs $400+

about the AMD cpu, i dont think your friend will run into softwere
compatibility problems. that was a prpblem in the past and it was not a
big one. why not go for a k6-2 450  i think its even cheaper than the
celeron400.

Sami Al-Mohssen

 > What are the limitations of a Celeron/400 vs a PentiumII/400?
I'm
> considering building a system using a Celeron/400 on an Asus P2L97 LX
> chipset motherboard.  The client's going to be using the system
> primarily for office apps.  He does need to have fast web access - an
> integral part of his business is retrieving info off the 'net.  I
> learned yesterday he may also be producing a news letter on the
> computer.  I don't know yet what app' he intends to use for this.  I
> thought 64MB would be fine but he wants 128, so it'll have that.  In
> addition the video card will be an ATI Expert 128 AGP w/ 8MB RAM on
> board.  Originally I was going to use an AMD K6-2/400 but got skittish
> about using a non-intel chipset not knowing exactly what apps. he'd be
> using.  It's a business system so reliability is imperative.  I feel
> like a sheep but I want to be conservative in this build.
>
> One draw back is, for this motherboard, it's topped out w/ the
> Celeron/400.  However, I thought by the time they were ready to upgrade,
> any motherboard they had in there would be obsolete anyway given the
> changes in the technology that are going on now.  (This upgrade is from
> a 386 - pretty good indicator it's gonna be a while before the next
> upgrade...)
>
> I checked out Tom's Hardware on both the motherboard and the processor.
> Tom seems to like them both but I'm more concerned about the processor
> being suited to the application.
>
> I'd be greatful for any feedback.
>
> Thank you
> Joan
>
>          The PCBUILD web site always needs good submissions.  If
>           you would like to contribute to the website, send any
>                hardware tech tips or hardware reviews to:

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html