From:
patrick meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 May 1999 13:41:30 -0700
At 07:13 AM 5/3/99 , you wrote:
>I have someone who needs the fan replaced on their Intel 133MHz CPU.
>Unfortunately, the heatsink was glued onto the CPU somehow.  Has anyone had
>experience removing these?  How tricky is it?  I'd hate to break the CPU or
>mess it up with chemicals while trying to remove the heatsink and glue so I
>can put on a new one.

Two methods I have used
1- run system for 5-10 minutes to get chip warm - checking constantly. This
will usually make what ever method of attachement -- heat paste or sticker
-- more pleiable and then very carefully and slowly rotate the heat back
and forth in small movements until it breaks free.
2- remove chip from system, get hair dryer and warm up the assembly to make
"glue" more pliable, then carefully insert the edge of a blunt knife like a
butter knife between the heat sink and chip and slowly work it in and lift
ever so slowly to life heat sink off chip.
The caveats on both methods is :  CAREFULLY  and SLOWLY . it may take up to
15 minutes to get fan off is really stuck on. most often it pops free a lot
sooner.

  "2 + 2 = 5 for very large values of 2"
                   a Marshall Space Center engineer.

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html