From:
Kenneth Whyman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 2009 14:55:21 -0700
Hibernation was introduced in Windows ME and "perfected" in Windows 2000 and
XP. It allows the machine to save the contents to a special file and shut
down, then reboot by reading that special file back into RAM and picking up
right where it left off, open programs and everything. It was supposed to be
the best way to save energy besides a normal shutdown because of how fast
the recovery form an "off" state is, but not every piece of hardware likes
the process. Some computers could handle hibernation just fine and some
argued relentlessly with it. It looks like your Toshiba is one of the
latter. See if Toshiba has an update to the system BIOS that can better
support hibernation as one thought before disabling it completely. Also
wouldn't hurt to see about device driver updates and Windows OS patches that
can improve that side of the hibernation equation.

Kenneth Whyman
"Chance favors the prepared mind."