From:
Jacob MacWay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 May 2004 21:43:06 -0700
I suggest that you go to www.pricewatch.com and buy in your price range. For brands I suggest: Asus, MSI, XFX, Gainward, Sapphire, Gigabyte, ATI, or nVidia. Ati would probably be the best chipset to buy. Since I don't know your price range, and what I can tell from your computer specs, I think a card like the ATI Powered SAPPHIRE RADEON 9200 SE 128MB AGP from here http://us-depot.com/sara9212frsh.html (which I found on pricewatch), would be a good card for you. But, if you have more money to spend then get a faster one like the ATI Radeon 9600 XT 128MB from here http://www.fticomputer.com/cgis/detail.cgi?product=VB-PC-ATI-R96XT-SI-128M&ses=&cat=VB. So good luck with Mandrake and your adventure in the world of Linux.

-Jacob Macway-

Brad Feuerhelm <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi All,

I'm working on installing Mandrake 9.0 (Linux) on a computer.
The existing video card seems to be not compatible with Mandrake.
So I need some advice on a video card to get. The cheaper the better
I just want to get Mandrake up and running. I'm a beginner with Linux.

The computer is a home build which includes:

Abit KT7a no raid.
1.13ghz AMD (Thunderbird)
266mhz FSB
512megs ram.
PCI 6-Slots (4 Free)
1-AGP Slot (4x)
1-ISA slot (SB 16 Soundcard)
4-USB
Video Card is a Diamond Stealth Video VRAM (2-meg) not compatible
3-com nic (10/100)
1-Seagate 60 gig (5400) (Linux)
1-Maxtor 27 gig (5400)

Need more info let me know.
I've tried several of the generic and named configs during setup and none
will work.
So I'm pretty sure the video card is not going to fly.
Looking for just a basic video card for now that will for sure work.

Thanks All

Brad

with the OpenOffice CD... at a great price!!!