Date:
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 12:29:45 +1000
I'm not sure I understand your question clearly, but I will try to answer
from what I understand.

> My PC PIV came with NT-SP6 installed. Now I want to remove NT and
> install Win2000. Before doing that I want to make sure that my
> application programs will run on Win2000 without any problem. So,
> initially I want a dual boot system.
> My question is can I physically switch my Master drive (C - NTFS partition
> with NT and all applications) to make it a slave drive and make my slave
> drive (D - clean drive with no OS and applications) to be with the master
> drive and install Win2000 on it?
> Will I experience any problem?

Not sure what you mean. Do you mean you want to switch two HDDs and keep NT4
and still remain a dual-boot system? If so, I think the simple answer is
yes, but you have some homework to do to make it work. Once you switched
HDDs, NT4 will no longer boot, until you modify boot.ini and make your slave
drive active drive; however, win2k will also install its own boot record to
slave drive as well (slave drive is still C:), that is not what you want
from what I understand.

> Will Win2000 (now in the master drive) recognize that the slave drive
> (D) has the NT OS?

Yes, it will recognise the drive, and files on it, you just need to
reinstall all your apps on win2k again.

> After I am satisfied with Win2000 can I just reformat my slave drive
> (D-with NT) and have no problem?

As the way your (will be) setup, there is a problem. I would recommend you
switch your HDDs, and try win2k on its own, without dual-boot, you can still
keep NT4, just leave it alone, in case something happened (if you're not
happy with win2k), you get back to NT4 without lose anything (and don't have
homework to do).

Jun Qian

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml