From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 2004 07:38:03 -0800
On 21 Nov 2004 at 16:13, Therese Linder wrote:

> My computer boots up normally, does memory test, detects primary and
> secondary masters and slaves, IDE controller, searching for devices,
> then I get the following message:
>
> Primary channel:
> Drive0 not found
> Drive1 not found
> Secondary channel:
> Drive0 not found
> Drive1 not found
>
> The BIOS is disabled
>
> It loads into windows normally, but there is a problem...after a while
> windows slows down and eventually hangs.
>
> PC info: ASUS motherboard, Pentium III 500e, OS Windows 98.

  You haven't mentioned an add-on UDMA or SATA controller in a PCI slot, but
the "IDE controller" reported AFTER the primary and secondary masters and
slaves is *probably* in addition to the controller on the motherboard.  If
there are devices attached to this additional controller, they're failing to
be detected, which could indicate a device or cable problem.
  The BIOS on this additional controller card is only needed if the machine
is to boot from a device attached there.  (Once Windows boots, control will
be handled by a software driver and the BIOS will be irrelevant.)  Since no
bootable devices were found, the card's BIOS never installs itself.

  This may or may not have anything to do with your slow down and hang
problem.

David Gillett

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml