From:
Hugh Vandervoort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jul 2009 15:02:37 -0400
While it's a good idea to your data protected, I've never found it
necessary to move any of the OS' protected folders.
Data that resides on a partition is vulnerable to a hard drive crash,
and that, in my experience, is the most common cause of data loss.
OS's prior to XP were far more prone to crashing than the systems we
have now.
I prefer to have data on a separate backup drive, either internal or
external, and there are any number of excellent, free programs that do
this handily.
Data on a hard drive, however, is not particularly safe. Regular
backups to an optical drive and/or online storage is a must for
critical data. I'm just a small time repairman, but at any given time
I have multiple crashed drives here, and most of the people involved
have lost most of their data.

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 11:32 AM, Computer9f<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Incidently, Vital, I also used this method to relocate "My Pictures" "My Music" etc. OUT of My Documents to sit ALONGSIDE "My Documents" on my data partition.  Outlook Express (and many other apps) will also allow you to relocate your DATA to a different drive/partition, which I do, alongside my other relocated folders on my data partition.
>
> I relocated all of this (as well as created a dedicated partition for the pagefile) because I image partition C and I don't want some things included - things I don't want clobbered if I restore the C partition from an image, as well as to keep my image files small (pagefile bloats it).
>
> I use a different backup method for my own data - I maintain an uncompressed copy of all "my" stuff  on a separate FAT partition (using SecondCopy) that can be read without special software (that I occasionally put to DVD).  None of my backups are encrypted because any folders containing financial or identity info is already encrypted (as files or folders) on the main data partition using WinZip 12.
>
> This keeps the C partition images small and containing only entertwined/related items - the OS, Registry, and Program Files (installed apps) that can be imaged and restored as a unit in time, with no effect at all my own data.
>
> AnnaSummers

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com