From:
Changhsu Liu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 17:41:44 -0500
I totally agree with your guys on cost issue. It's the experience of fun
and PAIN of building it that makes it worthwhile. It saves money and makes
more sense for me because I already have a system that I can reuse some
parts of it (eg. cd-rom, monitor, scsi card). It would be more expensive to
buy a new system and let the old parts collect dust. The saving in marginal
to a similar celeron system. I stated the cost was much lower since I was
comparing it with a new Pentium II 450mhz. I'm not promoting overclocking
either. Whoever plans to do it have to take the risk like I'm doing now. So
far, it's running ok at 464mhz for over 3 weeks now.

Many thanks this group for knowledge and help on problems. I migrated from
Mac for around 2 years and I won't get as much fun without the help from
you guys.

Changhsu Liu

>You will probably get a lot of knowledge, experience and a better system
>from building your own system yourself but there is no way you can save
>money doing it these days.  If you are a person who wants a first computer
>or are building a system for someone else primarily for the functionality
>and not for the learning experience of building it yourself, in the long
>run, it's better to buy a ready-made system.
>
>Adding up the lowest amounts listed above, I get $835 and it does not have
>a CD-ROM, floppy drive or a monitor.  Including those runs the cost up to
>around $1085.  Yesterday's newspaper had similar systems with no monitor
>advertised for $400 - $600.  At that price, it becomes difficult to build a
>system yourself and buy the software to run on it for anything close to
>what someone can walk into any store and buy ready to run with software and
>support (such that it is).

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html