From:
Dan Shaughnessy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 1999 19:06:32 -0600
It could be your motherboard, but I'd try one or all of the following before
blaming the board:
1st, run Scan disk and make sure you don't have any disk errors, then defrag
and see if that helps (probably won't but...)
Check to make sure you are using the most recent driver for ALL of your
periphirals..sound card, video card, etc.
You didn't mention your operating system-if your using Win98, use the
version conflict checker to see if you have a conflict with mismatched .dll
files.
If you have a known "good" memory chip available, try replacing your memory
with it.
Make sure your case is well ventilated, and your cpu fan, as well as your
case fan are working properly, random lockups are often caused by excessive
heat.
It may also indicate a failing power supply.  It may be worthwhile to check
it out.
Again, dependent on your operating system, you can try to run REGCLEAN from
Microsoft to clean you registry.
If you have some time on your hands...backup all your data...reformat your
hard drive and reinstall all of your programs.  Many find Win9X gets
"corrupted" after time, and only a clean reinstall straightens things out.
This is especially true if you've had the PC for awhile and have installed
and uninstalled many programs.  A lot of uninstall routines leave trash on
your PC a reinstall cleans things up.  If your not running Win 9X, then this
probably isn't the case.

Dan Shaughnessy

>My computer freezes up totally about once every other day. I have to turn
>the power off and back on in order for it to reboot. I read one posting on
>PC BUILD that mentioned this could be due to a defective mother board? Any
>advice in fixing this would be appreciated.

                            The NOSPIN Group
                            http://nospin.com