From:
Barry Marx <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 00:29:41 -0500
I am trying to help a friend upgrade the RAM in a DECpc LPX 433sx that he
recently bought used.  It is a 486 system with 8 MB Ram, and a Pentium OD
already installed. (We didn't have any documentation initially, although I
just discovered that DEC has the manual online.)

Before buying the upgrade RAM to 32 MB at a local store, I checked inside
the machine to see what type of SIMMs were needed (72-pin), but it wasn't
obvious to me whether they were parity or non-parity.  (My guess would've
been non-parity, since some of the SIMMS had 8 chips on one side.)  I made
the mistake of ASSuming that the computer store would be able to tell from
the system description what I needed, and would sell me the wrong type.

Anyway ...  It now turns out that it was the wrong type (parity was the
required type), and now the system won't boot at all.  I can hear the hard
drive spin, and it sounds like it is being accessed, but I never get any
beeps or video (therefore, no POST messages), no KB response, no FD access,
etc.  I replaced the original SIMMs, and now get the same result.  I also
suspected a problem with the video card, but changing that did'nt help.

I would have thought that the wrong parity type would have produced POST
error message, but this appears to have done some more serious damage.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
  Barry

                            The NOSPIN Group
                            http://nospin.com