From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2006 09:10:19 -0500
Generally, if you are finding problems with a hard drive, the best advice is
to remove all the data on the drive that is important to you and put it
somewhere else, such as another hard drive.  Unfortunately, it isn't really
possible to predict whether the drive will continue to deteriorate or not,
but I think that it is best to assume that it will.

I don't know of an easy way to move just the files that are already on
damaged or otherwise inaccessible parts of the drive.  Gibson's SpinRite
program is billed as being a good utility for trying to recover data from
this difficult to read sectors.  As I understand it, the program makes
repeated and slightly varied efforts to read the data and then move it to a
good area of the drive.  Unfortunately, this program is not inexpensive, and
I've never had an occasion where I needed to try to recover some particular
data badly enough to justify the cost of using the program.

Bear in mind, that even with Spinrite, there is no guarantee that the drive
will not eventually fail; so, the precaution of moving all the data you can
from the problem drive, first, is still necessary.

Some drive manufacturers' utilities will offer to "repair" a drive, which
seems to entail removing the bad sectors from service and replacing them
unused "slack" space on the drive.  I'm not sure how hard the program will
try to recover data from these areas first, presumably, not very, as it has
already determined these areas to be unreadable.

If you have or can obtain a second drive large enough to move your data to,
I would do that, and then I would write zeros to the whole drive.  After
that I would run a thorough scan of the drive to see if appeared sound.
Even then, assuming that it appears to be working, I would be a bit cautious
about what I used the drive for, at least for a period of trial use.

I'm not sure why your system is slow to boot up.  It sounds like you are
getting to Windows XP's boot menu, though I'm not clear exactly what you are
describing seeing during the boot process.  It may be related to the fact
that you have two bootable hard drives installed, now.  Usually, the
preferred method of setting up a system this way is to have a system with
Win98 already installed on one drive or partition and then install WinXP.
WinXP will see the existing OS and then offer to "upgrade" or install WinXP
to a different location.  This second choice will include WinXP installing a
boot loader that will let you choose between OS to boot into at start up.
At least, that is generally how I recall the process working.  I haven't
tried it in quite a while and am a bit fuzzy on the details.  Hopefully,
someone will correct me if I've got some point wrong or incomplete.

John Sproule