From:
Kevin Nowicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Sep 1998 23:16:33 EDT
In a message dated 9/14/98 2:29:20 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< I was wondering if using a printer A-B switch would work to connect the
printer and the scanner to LPT1 instead of plugging the scanner into LPT1 and
then plugging the printer into the pass through port on the scanner?  The
scanner is a Microtek V310 and the printer is a Lexmark 5700.

 If a switch box is workable, do I need a special one due to the bi-
directional requirements of the printer? >>

Hi Steve:

I had a similar situation.  I'm using an old Epson ES-800C, HP Deskjet 320 and
a Snappy video capture device.  I just went to Fry's and picked up a "PC
Concepts" switchbox.  It will connect 4 devices.  I ran a printer cable from
LPT1 to the center plug of the switchbox.  I connected the scanner, printer
and snappy to the back of the switch box and labelled the front of the box to
correspond with the manual dial settings of A,B,C, and D to the appropriate
devices.  It works great.  Just make sure your LPT1 port is set for Bi-
directional.  Now the only problem I have is remembering to turn the dial to a
particular device before I activate the device I want to use.

I bought the switchbox about 2 yrs ago for about $20.

Kevin Nowicki

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**