From:
Jack R Payton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 21:58:57 -0400
Steve:
If I remember correctly, Win98 keeps two sets of Registry files,
system.dat and user.dat, along with system.bak and user.bak. If Win98
finds a problem with the *.dat files, when it says," Windows will repair
the system registry for you," it replaces the *.dat files with the *.bak
files. If the *.bak files were backed up from corrupt *.dat files, or the
same problem corrupts the *.bak files, you get into a vicious circle.

First, you must troubleshoot your system to learn if something is
continually corrupting your registry (not easy) - that may be why you're
getting Win to work for a while, but not at your next startup. A great
help is having a backup set of known good *.dat registry files. There are
several methods for this. I have a set of batch files you can run from
DOS or the DOS prompt shell to make/restore a set of "virgin" *.dat
files. If you (or anyone else) would like a copy, email me directly at:
jack payton